OnlyFans Abandons Planned Porn Ban, Will Continue To Allow Sexually Explicit Content




OnlyFans announced Wednesday that it has “suspended” plans to ban sexually explicit content from its service, less than a week after the U.K. content-creator subscription site had announced the change citing the need to comply with policies of banking partners.

In an early morning Tweet on Wednesday, the company said it “secured assurances necessary to support our diverse creator community,” suggesting that it had reached new agreements with banks to pay OnlyFans’ content creators, including those who share sexually explicit material.

“Thank you to everyone for making your voices heard. We have secured assurances necessary to support our diverse creator community and have suspended the planned October 1 policy change,” the company said.

“OnlyFans stands for inclusion and we will continue to provide a home for all creators,” they added.



OnlyFans declined to identify which bank or banks it has new or renewed payment-processing agreements with, but a company representative did tell CNBC that “the proposed Oct. 1, 2021 changes are no longer required due to banking partners’ assurances that OnlyFans can support all genres of creators.”

The company’s Aug. 19 decision to block sexually explicit content drew swift condemnation from sex workers, who were in large part responsible for the platform’s success and rely on it as a source of income.

OnlyFans CEO and founder Tim Stokely claimed in an interview with the Financial Times this week the firm was forced to ban such content after “unfair” treatment from banks.

But the use of the word “suspended” in OnlyFans’ announcement has been a huge red flag for some wary adult content creators.

Many suspect the decision was made after users and creators began to abandon the platform in droves, opting for alternative adult content subscription sites like Justfor.fans.

Matt, an adult performer on OnlyFans and JustForFans (@teninchlondon) with over 144,000 followers on Twitter (@10inchlondon), tells The Gaily Grind he was shocked when he hear about the OnlyFans ban on explicit content.

“There had been rumblings that something like this might happen, but I never thought it would happen so quickly or so immediately,” Matt said. “I was also very disappointed too – the platform was built off the backs of sex workers, and we are a huge part of their core audience, yet OnlyFans backed down to pressure from the banks at the expense of the entire industry.”

Matt says he “wasn’t shocked at all to hear they had reversed – or at least suspended – their decision. The backlash was huge from content creators, and OnlyFans clearly realized the damage they had done to their brand.” He adds: “The decision might have been reversed, for now, but the faith that performers had in the platform has most certainly disappeared.”