Alt-right provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos has been banned from entering Australia for a speaking tour this year over his comments on social media about on the mass shooting in New Zealand, ABC Australia reported.
The former Breitbart journalist said on Facebook that attacks such as the one in Christchurch happened “because the establishment panders to and mollycoddles extremist leftism and barbaric, alien religious cultures.”
Australian Immigration Minister David Coleman said in a statement that Yiannopoulos’s comments are “appalling and foment hatred and division.”
“The terrorist attack in Christchurch was carried out on Muslims peacefully practicing their religion,” Coleman said, according to the outlet. “Australia stands with New Zealand and with Muslim communities the world over in condemning this inhuman act.”
Milo’s remarks came after 49 people were killed and dozens more injured in attacks at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, by an alleged white supremacist.
“I’m banned from Australia, again, after a statement in which I said I abhor political violence,” Yiannopoulos said on social media.
Yiannopoulos, who resigned from Breitbart in 2017 over comments he made in which he appeared to endorse having sex with young boys, was barred from entering Australia earlier this month after his visa application was rejected on character grounds.
PayPal suspended Yiannopoulos last year after he sent $14.88 to a Jewish journalist. The number has been used by white supremacists because “14” represents the mantra of securing a future for white children and “88” represents “Heil Hitler.”
“I am one of the most censored and most lied-about people in the world,” Yiannopoulos has said.
Australian Labor MP Tony Burke praised Yiannopoulos’s ban on Twitter.
“Milo banned. Good. His overnight comments weren’t that different from how he has always behaved,” the politician wrote. “There was already enough evidence to ban him which is why the department had already recommended he be banned. The Australian tours for the world’s hate speakers must stop.”
Milo banned. Good. His overnight comments weren’t that different from how he has always behaved. There was already enough evidence to ban him which is why the department had already recommended he be banned. The Australian tours for the world’s hate speakers must stop. https://t.co/gh5ZrQRiU7
— Tony Burke (@Tony_Burke) March 16, 2019