Out anchor Thomas Roberts’ MSNBC show Live With Thomas Roberts has been cancelled after less than two years on the air.
“Thomas was taken off of his [show] quietly,” a source told Page Six. “They’re not going to announce it, but he’s gone. His last day was Friday.”
Roberts’ news program aired on weekday afternoons. The show had its start in 2014, but Roberts had been working with MSNBC since 2010.
The anchor confirmed the news today on his Facebook page:
I wanted you to hear directly from me…it is true I won’t be keeping my current show weekdays on MSNBC. My last show was Thursday.
My colleagues are incredible people…and I am so proud of our team and our accomplishments. It is always a special blessing when co-workers become close friends and family. We achieved that bond and our hard work was recently honored by winning an Emmy in 2016 for Breaking News coverage of last year’s Supreme Court decision on Marriage Equality. I can’t thank my colleagues enough for years of their dedication to me and our show.
Roberts says we’ll have to “stay tuned” to find out what’s next for him. Page Six, however, reports that there have been discussions for Roberts “to take on a new role with MSNBC in 2017.”
For now, he plans on “spending the holidays with my husband and family.” Together since 2000, Roberts and his partner, Patrick Abner, got married in 2012 in New York.
The anchor has also hosted The Miss Universe Pageant and has been a guest co-host on The View. But it was in 2015 that he made the biggest splash for being the first out gay man to anchor a nightly news program (the Saturday edition of NBC Nightly News).