Poppers may look like tiny drinkable shots to the unfamiliar but they are actually meant to be sniffed during sex to enhance the sexual experience.
At least five people fell ill after drinking poppers at a Parklife music festival in Manchester, U.K., over the weekend.
Greater Manchester Police said the festival-goers had been drinking the “legal highs” and were taken to a local hospital to be treated.
Officers seized 400 bottles of the drugs and are urging anyone in possession of them to hand them in “before it’s too late”.
Health implications of #legalhighs include seizures, coma, serious illness and death! For help call ‘Talk to Frank’ 0800 776600.
— G M Police (@gmpolice) June 7, 2015
“We are now extremely concerned that people are drinking poppers and this poses a significant risk to life and would urge anyone using, or considering using them or any ‘legal high’ to cease from doing so immediately, before it’s too late,” said Chief Inspector Gary Simpson. “Anyone who has consumed any of these substances is urged to seek medical help immediately.”
“We are investigating the sale of these poppers and I want to stress the seriousness of selling or distributing ‘legal highs’ and warn people that we will not tolerate it.”
“Please be aware poppers are being misused as shots,” said a Parklife spokesperson. “Don’t consume anything not sold from our bars, if you do seek medical advice immediately.”
Just last week, the UK officially banned the sale of poppers.